Another tasty soup from Tal Ronnen. This vegan split pea soup is hearty and has a wonderful smokey flavor. If I’m in a rush, I’ll skip the tempeh bacon and chipotle cream. They’re both fantastic additions, but not necessary.
If you are going with the tempeh bacon and you’re gluten-free be sure to check out the ingredients. Sometimes there are some random wheat products in those sorta things.Print
- Sea salt
- 4 tbsp. vegan butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 5 cups vegetable stock or faux chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups green split peas, rinsed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 4 slices tempeh bacon
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ground cashews
- 1/2 canned chipotle in adobo sauce
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Place a large stockpot over medium heat. Sprinkle the bottom with a pinch of salt and heat for 1 minute. Add the all-natural buttery spread and stir until melted, being careful not to let it burn. This will create a non-stick effect.
- Add the shallots, leeks, carrot, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the rosemary, bay leaf, and paprika and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add the stock and split peas and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tempeh bacon and fry on both sides until crisp. Cool, then coarsely crumble. Serve the soup garnished with the Chipotle Cream, made by placing all of the ingredients in a food processor and blending until well mixed, and tempeh bacon.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 996
- Sugar: 13
- Sodium: 1411
- Fat: 49
- Carbohydrates: 83
- Fiber: 21
- Protein: 55
- Cholesterol: 0