This vegan pasta can easily be made with a gluten-free pasta if you have an intolerance or just want to cut back on the wheat products.Print
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1–2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen edamame
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- black pepper and red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Sautee onion, olive oil, and minced garlic in a large skillet for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add in chopped vegetables (except for the tomato) and edamame. Sauté for another 10 minutes. Reduce heat as needed.
- Meanwhile, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water before draining. Set aside.
- In a food processor, make the basil cream sauce by processing the basil, water, olive oil, lemon juice, avocado, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes until smooth.
- Just before the vegetables are done cooking, add the chopped tomatoes, and cook for another 5 minutes until tender.
- Combine pasta, vegetables and basil cream sauce. Stir until combined. Add pasta water as needed to achieve desired consistency. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, to taste.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 861
- Sugar: 12
- Sodium: 606
- Fat: 37
- Carbohydrates: 106
- Fiber: 10
- Protein: 21
- Cholesterol: 0