Whether you’re having a few friends over for drink or looking for something fit to feed a crowd, look no further. Here are a few of our favorite snacks for the holidays.
Baked Cashew Cheese
This baked cashew cheese is amazing. Serve it up with some simple crackers, bread, maybe a little fruit and you’re in business. Don’t let the prep time for this recipe discourage you. It does require some planning ahead, but the actual hands-on time is minimal. You just need one night to soak the cashews, another to let them drain and the following day you bake it up. Totally worth the wait. You’ll also want to pick up some cheesecloth. They should have it at most grocery stores and it’s very inexpensive.
From Triumph Wellness
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- Soak the nuts overnight in a bowl of water to cover.
- Drain the nuts and place in the blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Place mixture in cheesecloth and close up. Place cheesecloth in a strainer over a bowl. Place in refrigerator overnight.
- The following day, drain off any liquid. Plop mixture out of cheesecloth into an oiled oven-proof bowl or dish. Preheat oven to 350°F and bake for 40 minutes or until the cheese is firm and the top is golden brown and cracked. Serve warm or let cool and store in the refrigerator.
Avocado Asparagus Tartine
From 101 Cookbooks
- 4 pieces whole grain bread
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, trimmed roughly the length of your bread
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 avocado, pitted and smashed
- 2 cupsarugula, tossed in a bit of olive oil
- 1/4 cuptoasted pepitas, or almonds, or sunflower seeds
- Lightly toast bread. Brush lightly with olive oil and rub with garlic cloves.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot add the asparagus, and a pinch of salt and cook for about thirty seconds. Add the garlic and caraway, and cook another thirty seconds, or until the spears are a bright green. Remove from heat.
- Give each piece of bread a generous slather of mashed avocado. Top that with a bit of arugula, a few asparagus spears, and a generous sprinkling of pepitas or seeds.