There’s no better indication that spring has arrived than seeing bunches of asparagus fill the produce section at my local grocery store. Okay, I suppose there are a few more obvious signs that winter is on its way out. However, asparagus is arguably the most delicious way to usher in the new season.
If you’re familiar with the concept of eating “seasonally,” or filling your plate with foods that are grown at the same time of year that you eat them, you know now is the time to load up on asparagus. The nutrient-rich veggie has been a popular menu item in many restaurants over the last couple of months and has taken the lead in everything from tofu scrambles to pasta dishes.
The most common type of asparagus is green, but you might also see white and purple varieties this season. Not only is asparagus delicious, it’s also one of the most nutritionally well-balanced vegetables. It’s high in folic acid and is also a good source of potassium, fiber, thiamin, and vitamins A, B6 and C. Bonus: Asparagus is low in calories, which means you can enjoy it liberally on your vegan meal plan.
Since we have such a fondness for asparagus and we’re all about sharing our love of food with others, we wanted give you an excuse to incorporate it into your diet. This recipe for Creamy Vegan Lemon Asparagus Pasta from Minimalist Baker is absolutely divine and only takes 30 minutes to whip up. Finally! A healthy and delicious dinner that doesn’t require a ton of effort to make. We’ll drink eat to that.
Creamy Vegan Lemon Asparagus Pasta
From the Minimalist Baker
- 1 bunch asparagus (12 oz.), trimmed and washed
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 lemons
- Olive oil
- 3-4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 10 ounces (~5 cups) bow tie pasta (or gluten-free variety)
- 5 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 3-4 Tbsp all purpose flour (sub another thickener if GF*)
- 1-2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (for a subtle cheesy flavor | optional)
- Get the full instructions (and see gorgeous photos of this dish) by clicking here.
Other Great Asparagus Recipes from Well Vegan
- Avocado Asparagus Tartine
- Asparagus and Arugula Salad with Cannellini Beans and Balsamic Vinegar
- Roasted Asparagus