Native Foods has arrived in San Diego! Maybe you have one where you come from, but an entirely vegan-friendly restaurant is a hard to find around here. It’s such a luxury to walk into a restaurant and be able to order absolutely anything without meticulously scouring the menu and playing twenty questions with your server. I couldn’t be happier that kinda freedom has finally made it’s way to our suburban neck of the woods. In the interest of saving a little money, I’ve taken to developing my own twist on several of my Native Food’s favorites. I’ll start by tackling their Cobb Salad.
This is a great hearty salad for nights you want something a little indulgent (bacon bits and ranch, ahem). You can make your own ranch dressing or buy a vegan variety from the store. I love a dinner that’s on the table in under twenty minutes, less than that if you opt for store-bought ranch.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- ¼ cup sunflower kernels
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium avocado
- ¼ cup vegan bacon bits
- ¼ cup vegan ranch dressing
- ½ cup black olives, chopped
- ½ cup kidney beans (half a 15 oz. can), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup peas, thawed
- Combine lettuce and dressing in a large bowl. Toss to coat the lettuce nicely and evenly with the dressing.
- Add the remaining ingredients and serve.