This salad features thinly sliced Brussels sprouts, which I roasted until caramelized and crispy on the edges to really elevate the flavor. Dressed with zippy miso mustard dressing, you won’t put your fork down until the very last bite.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup farro
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Few twists of black pepper
For the dressing:
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. yellow or white miso paste
- 1 tsp. meyer lemon juice
- 2 tsp. coconut oil, melted
- ¼ tsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees. Remove the blade from your food processor and swap it for the slicer attachment. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can thinly slice the Brussels sprouts by hand.) Chop the tough ends off the Brussels sprouts and discard. Feed the Brussels sprouts through the food processor and set aside.
- Place the farro in a mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly. Combine the farro with three cups of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until farro is chewy, yet tender – about 20 minutes. You’ll want to test the farro as it cooks (like you would with pasta) to ensure the right texture. When the farro is done, drain any excess water and set it aside to cool.
- While the farro cooks, roast the Brussels sprouts. Divide the sliced sprouts between two baking sheets along with the coconut oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast the Brussels sprouts for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring halfway through, until browned and crispy on the edges. When the sprouts have crisped to your liking, remove them from the oven and set aside to cool on the baking sheets.
- Meanwhile, whisk the dressing together. Combine the mustard, miso paste, lemon juice, coconut oil, maple syrup, and water in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Add more miso for a saltier flavor, maple syrup for sweetness, or lemon juice to make the flavor pop. It may not seem like a lot of dressing, but a little bit goes a long way with this salad!
- Combine the cooked farro and roasted Brussels sprouts in a large serving bowl. Drizzle with the miso mustard dressing and toss to coat. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.