- 2 cups fresh strawberries, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. agave nectar
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 8 hours
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- Water, to thin
- 1 French baguette
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, finely sliced
- If you’re going to toast the bread, preheat your oven to 450F. Combine the diced strawberries and agave in a mixing bowl. Toss to coat the pieces and set aside.
- Add the cashews, lemon juice, and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Blend until creamy, adding water 1 teaspoon at a time until you achieve a smooth, spreadable consistency (I used 2 tablespoons). Adjust lemon juice and salt to taste, if needed.
- Slice the baguette diagonally into 1-inch pieces. Arrange the pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the oven on the top rack. Toast for 5 to 6 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges. Transfer the pieces to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Spread each piece of bread with a layer of cashew cheese, followed by the strawberries and a sprinkle of fresh basil. Serve immediately.
To thinly slice basil, create a stack with the largest leaf on bottom and the smallest leaf on top. Roll up the leaves like a cigar and place seam side down. Use a rocking motion with the tip of a sharp knife to make thin slices from one end to the other.