This vegan queso is smooth, creamy, spicy, and savory. Add soy chorizo for a robust dip or keep it simple with a straightforward blend of pantry staples.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup onion, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup carrot, roughly chopped
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 6 oz. soy chorizo (optional)
- Fresh cilantro, for topping
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Combine the cashews, onion, carrot, and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, reduce the heat slightly, and simmer for 15 minutes, until the carrots are very tender.
- Pour the contents of the saucepan (including the water) into a high speed blender. Add the chili powder, paprika, jalapeño, salt, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and a splash of water.
- Blend the vegan queso until creamy and smooth. Adjust the seasonings to taste - add more nutritional yeast for more “cheesy” flavor, lemon juice to brighten, or salt to amplify the overall taste. I added another teaspoon of nutritional yeast and an extra pinch of salt. If you want your queso a little bit spicier, add more jalapeño or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- If you’re adding soy chorizo, preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the soy chorizo and sauté until completely heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the vegan queso into the cast iron skillet or transfer it to a serving bowl and stir in the soy chorizo. Top with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve warm with your favorite tortilla chips.
Nutrition info doesn't include soy chorizo or tortilla chips.
Keywords: vegan queso, vegan appetizer, vegan appetizers, vegan snack