There's no denying it - Thanksgiving will look a lot different in 2020 than it has in years past. But, that doesn't mean we can't pivot our traditions and make new memories. That's why I've decided to share another look at my new cookbook, Vegan Boards. This Thanksgiving Snack Board is the perfect way to celebrate the holiday without cooking a massive feast. It has all of the important components (mashed potatoes!!) and a couple of surprises.
What you'll need
To make this Thanksgiving Snack Board, you'll need a large round board about 20 inches in diameter. If you don't have a board, a circular tray or even a large baking sheet will do! You will also need five small bowls, three mini bowls, and one larger bowl. Serving spoons, mashed potato spoons, appetizer picks, and appetizer plates round out the necessary supplies.Print
I always look forward to Thanksgiving because it feels like the official kickoff to the holiday season. And, of course, because it’s the only U.S. holiday entirely focused on food and family. This Thanksgiving Snack Board reframes the traditional Thanksgiving dinner as a plant-based feast with familiar, comforting flavors (mashed potatoes!) in a snack-able format. It would be a perfect board to serve the night before Thanksgiving as houseguests trickle in or in place of a large meal if you’re having a more intimate and casual holiday.
- 1 batch of Rosemary Mashed Potatoes (recipe below)
- 1 batch of Sautéed Mushrooms (recipe below)
- 1 demi ciabatta baguette, sliced
- 1 ounce vegan butter
- 1½ cups mixed olives
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup candied pecans
- 1 batch of Pumpkin Spiced Pumpkin Seeds (recipe below)
- 1 ounce maple syrup
- 1 head of garlic, roasted
- 2 pears, sliced in half lengthwise
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 pound of seedless red grapes, cut into small clusters
- 1 5-ounce box of pita crackers
- Place the bowl of Rosemary Mashed Potatoes on the board and cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Place the Sautéed Mushrooms on the board next to the mashed potatoes.
- Layer half of the baguette slices along the right edge of the board and place a mini bowl with vegan butter at the top.
- Transfer the mixed olives to a small bowl and place it on the other side of the mashed potatoes. Layer the remaining baguette slices along the left edge of the board above the olives.
- Pour the dried cranberries and candied pecans in bowls of similar size and place them in the center of the board. Transfer the Pumpkin Spice Pumpkin Seeds to a pumpkin-shaped bowl and place it in the curve of the baguette slices on the right side of the board.
- Pour the maple syrup into a mini bowl and set it near the top of the board next to the candied pecans. Place the roasted garlic head directly on the board or in a mini bowl in the curve of the baguette slices on the left side of the board.
- Place the pear halves at the top, middle, and bottom of the board. Rub the cut sides of the pear with lemon juice to prevent them from browning.
- Add a handful of dried apricots to the very top of the board.
- Add half of the grape clusters to the top of the board next to the dried apricots and the remaining grape clusters between the dried cranberries and mushrooms.
- Layer the pita crackers along the left side of the board and through the middle, filling in any open spaces.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- Add the potatoes to a large stockpot and cover with an inch of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and rinse the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Drizzle the olive oil into a small skillet and warm over low heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic to the skillet and sauté until light golden, about a minute.
- Pour the contents of the skillet into the stockpot to join the potatoes. Add the rosemary, almond milk, salt, and pepper to the potatoes and mash with a potato masher. Season with salt to taste.
- Scoop the Rosemary Mashed Potatoes into a bowl and serve.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms, halved
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Several twists of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Warm the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and season with salt, black pepper, and thyme.
- Sauté the mushrooms until golden and tender, about 4 minutes.
- Scoop the sautéed mushrooms into a bowl and serve.
- 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour the pumpkin seeds into a mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat the pumpkin seeds in the oil.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, coconut sugar, and salt.
- Sprinkle the pumpkin spice mix over the pumpkin seeds, drizzle with maple syrup, and toss to coat.
- Spill the pumpkin seeds onto the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, stirring the pumpkin seeds once halfway through.
- Allow the pumpkin seeds to cool on the baking sheet. When cool, transfer the pumpkin seeds to a bowl and serve.
Pre-order Vegan Boards!
Vegan Boards will be released on February 2, 2021 but it’s available for pre-order on Amazon right now! As a "thank you!" for pre-ordering, I created a couple of bonus boards you can start making right away. All you have to do is send your proof of purchase (a screenshot of your order confirmation is perfect) to email@example.com. My publisher will email you back with a PDF containing a little note from me and a couple of gorgeous bonus boards.
Thank you so much for your interest and support in my latest cookbook, Vegan Boards. I’m positive you will find great ideas for making and serving delicious, beautiful vegan food! Click to pre-order Vegan Boards on Amazon and don’t forget to send your proof of purchase to firstname.lastname@example.org to get the bonus materials!