I always look forward to Thanksgiving because it feels like the official kickoff to the holiday season. And, of course, because it’s the only U.S. holiday entirely focused on food and family. This Thanksgiving Snack Board reframes the traditional Thanksgiving dinner as a plant-based feast with familiar, comforting flavors (mashed potatoes!) in a snack-able format. It would be a perfect board to serve the night before Thanksgiving as houseguests trickle in or in place of a large meal if you’re having a more intimate and casual holiday.
- 1 batch of Rosemary Mashed Potatoes (recipe below)
- 1 batch of Sautéed Mushrooms (recipe below)
- 1 demi ciabatta baguette, sliced
- 1 ounce vegan butter
- 1½ cups mixed olives
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup candied pecans
- 1 batch of Pumpkin Spiced Pumpkin Seeds (recipe below)
- 1 ounce maple syrup
- 1 head of garlic, roasted
- 2 pears, sliced in half lengthwise
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 pound of seedless red grapes, cut into small clusters
- 1 5-ounce box of pita crackers
- Place the bowl of Rosemary Mashed Potatoes on the board and cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Place the Sautéed Mushrooms on the board next to the mashed potatoes.
- Layer half of the baguette slices along the right edge of the board and place a mini bowl with vegan butter at the top.
- Transfer the mixed olives to a small bowl and place it on the other side of the mashed potatoes. Layer the remaining baguette slices along the left edge of the board above the olives.
- Pour the dried cranberries and candied pecans in bowls of similar size and place them in the center of the board. Transfer the Pumpkin Spice Pumpkin Seeds to a pumpkin-shaped bowl and place it in the curve of the baguette slices on the right side of the board.
- Pour the maple syrup into a mini bowl and set it near the top of the board next to the candied pecans. Place the roasted garlic head directly on the board or in a mini bowl in the curve of the baguette slices on the left side of the board.
- Place the pear halves at the top, middle, and bottom of the board. Rub the cut sides of the pear with lemon juice to prevent them from browning.
- Add a handful of dried apricots to the very top of the board.
- Add half of the grape clusters to the top of the board next to the dried apricots and the remaining grape clusters between the dried cranberries and mushrooms.
- Layer the pita crackers along the left side of the board and through the middle, filling in any open spaces.