This Sweet Potato, Fig, and Rosemary Stuffing is sweet, savory, and hearty. It would make a fantastic vegan addition to your Thanksgiving table!
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced into ½-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons + 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Few twists of black pepper
- 1 loaf of sourdough bread, cut into cubes (about 10 cups)
- 1 pound cipollini onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped (plus more for topping)
- 1 cup dried figs, halved
- ½ cup roasted and salted pecans, roughly chopped
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
- Spill the sweet potatoes onto a baking sheet and toss with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until fork tender, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile cut the sourdough bread into 1-inch cubes; you should get about 10 cups. Transfer the bread cubes to a large baking sheet and add it to the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, until the bread is dry.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water. Slice the root ends off the cipollini onions and add them to the boiling water. Boil for 2 minutes, then drain and transfer the onions to the ice bath to cool. Peel the cipollini onions and slice them in half from top to bottom.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Pour the remaining tablespoon of olive oil into the hot skillet and add the cipollini onions. Sauté for 10 to 15 minutes, until the onions are caramelized and tender. Stir in the rosemary and cook for another minute. Season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Transfer the roasted sweet potatoes, bread cubes, dried figs, pecans, and vegetable broth to the skillet and stir gently to combine. If the bread still feels dry after soaking up the vegetable broth, add a bit more broth. Taste the stuffing and add more salt if desired (I added another 1/4 teaspoon).
- Cover the skillet with an oven-safe lid or aluminum foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the stuffing from the oven and serve in the skillet or transfer to a serving platter. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.