Our Creamy Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta with Spinach is the ultimate vegan comfort food. It’s easily made gluten-free by using Banza Chickpea Pasta (our favorite) and broccoli or peas as your protein source.
- 8 oz. Banza Chickpea Pasta (or another gluten-free or whole-wheat pasta)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or boiled for 10 minutes
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 vegan sausages, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Hemp seeds and red chili pepper flakes, for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and drop the pasta in. Return to a boil and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or as indicated on the packaging. Drain and rinse the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, add the soaked or boiled cashews, water, salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice to a high-speed blender, like a Vitamix. Blend on medium-high for 2 minutes. If you have a regular blender, blend for 4 to 5 minutes and add a touch more water as needed to keep things moving. Adjust seasonings to taste (more cayenne pepper if you like heat!)
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Arrange the vegan sausage pieces in a single layer and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip the pieces over and cook on the other side for 2 to 3 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Pour the sauce from your blender over the pasta and return to low heat. Add the vegan sausage pieces along with the oil from the pan. Stir in the baby spinach and warm briefly until wilted, another minute more.
- Divide the pasta between four bowls and garnish with hemp seeds and red chili pepper flakes.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 568
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 728.4 mg
- Fat: 28.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 51 g
- Protein: 33.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg