Baking cakes without eggs was a common practice during the Great Depression in America, as eggs were expensive and scarce at the time. Despite the lack of eggs, people still wanted to enjoy sweet treats, which led to the creation of eggless cake recipes.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch square or round pan.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Make three holes in the dry ingredients, one large and two small.
- Add the vanilla to the first small hole, the vinegar to the second, and the oil to the large hole. Then pour the water over everything and stir to combine.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is springy and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack, then cut and serve.
- Keep at room temperature, wrapped airtight, for up to 3 days; refrigerate after that.
- This recipe is easy to double for a more festive two-layered cake!
- You can use a 9-inch round or 9-inch square pan.
- Substitute 1/2 cup of leftover coffee for half of the water for a richer cake.
Keywords: vegan chocolate cake recipe, eggless chocolate cake recipe