Post written by Well Vegan
Over the years we have experimented with countless ways to bring a salad to work without it getting soggy or tiny little containers of dressing popping open and destroying lunch bags — that’s the worst. My husband came across this idea over here and it actually works! Apparently, if stacked correctly, these little salads can last up to 4 days. So here’s the magical stacking order from bottom up:
- hearty items: tomatoes, beans, onions, carrots
- then lighter bits: quinoa, sunflower seeds, mushrooms
- lettuce or spinach
Just don’t get crazy on the way into work and forget you have a GLASS jar in your bag – i.e. no breakdancing or skateboarding. When you’re ready to eat, just shake and enjoy! And here’s an easy dressing recipe to get you started.
This is enough dressing for about 4 cups of greens. I often quadruple the recipe and keep the extra in a jar in the refrigerator.
From Cook’s Illustrated
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. minced shallot
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. table salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine vinegar, shallot, mustard (if using), salt, and pepper in bowl with fork. Add oil, then whisk or mix with fork until smooth, about 30 seconds. The dressing will separate after 5 to 10 minutes, so use immediately or mix again before tossing with greens.