Don’t be fooled by the name, this avocado asparagus tartine is just a fancy way to say TOAST. Deluxe toast, but still toast. Perfect for a quick lunch or dinner that feels a little fancy thanks to that dash of special asparagus brings to this recipe. If you don’t have a ripe avocado, try using mashed white beans or hummus for the base layer. This recipe is infinitely versatile, so make it your own!
Other toppings to try:
Mashed white beans
Red pepper flakes
And if you like toasty dishes, be sure to try our Herbed Mushrooms on Garlic Toast!Print
- 4 pieces whole grain bread
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, trimmed roughly the length of your bread
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 avocado, pitted and smashed
- 2 cups arugula, tossed in a bit of olive oil
- 1/4 cup toasted pepitas, or almonds, or sunflower seeds
- Lightly toast bread. Brush lightly with olive oil and rub with garlic cloves.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot add the asparagus, and a pinch of salt and cook for about thirty seconds. Add the garlic and caraway, and cook another thirty seconds, or until the spears are a bright green. Remove from heat.
- Give each piece of bread a generous slather of mashed avocado. Top that with a bit of arugula, a few asparagus spears, and a generous sprinkling of pepitas or seeds.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 451
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 321
- Fat: 27
- Carbohydrates: 36
- Fiber: 11
- Protein: 17
- Cholesterol: 0