This vegan caesar salad recipe makes more than enough dressing for one salad. Keep the rest in a jar in the refrigerator to enjoy the rest of the week. Often I don't go to the trouble of making the croutons, unless I have some extra bread on hand. Instead, I like to add cucumbers for some extra crunch. In the picture above, I've added crumbled tempeh bacon which is divine! Just cook the tempeh bacon according to the package direction, let it cool for a few minutes and crumble away. If you're interested in making a "chicken" caesar version, add some diced Gardein chick’n scallopini. You can find it in the freezer section and just cook according to package directions.
Adapted from The Conscious Cook
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ tablespoon light agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 small heads romaine lettuce, shredded
- ¼ loaf focaccia, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cucumber, diced (optional)
- 1–2 pieces Gardein chick’n scallopini, diced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread focaccia cubes on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes.
- To make the dressing, put the garlic, capers, mayonnaise, miso paste, nutritional yeast, agave nectar, lemon juice, and ½ cup water in a food processor and pulse to combine. With the motor running, slowly add the oil in a thin stream. Continue to blend for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- If using Gardein chick’n scallopini, cook according to package directions.
- Add lettuce, cucumbers and croutons to a large bowl, drizzle with dressing and toss well.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 987
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 693
- Fat: 94
- Carbohydrates: 27
- Fiber: 8
- Protein: 7
- Cholesterol: 0