This week the newest member of our family turned one. That thing that every person you know (and don’t know in line at Target) says about it going by way too fast is true. Completely true. We had a great day celebrating and we couldn’t have made it happen without the help of Isa Chandra and Terry Hope Romero’s Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. It’s a must own for all your celebrations. This birthday, we went with the basic chocolate cupcake and chocolate mousse topping. Super simple and incredibly delicious results — rich and chocolately but not too sweet. It’s way past my bedtime, but I had to share these recipes. Oh and if you have a little extra time check out a few youtube videos on how to pipe icing with a pastry bag. It’s totally worth it and beyond easy.
Side note: Has anyone tried any of the recipes from their book as full cakes or just cupcakes? It should work as a regular cake too, right?! Vegan baking can be persnickety…
Chocolate Mousse Topping
About 15 minutes to make plus an hour to chill
From Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra and Terry Hope Romero
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 oz. extra firm silken tofu
- 1/4 cup plain soy milk
- 2 tbsp. agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- In the microwave, melt the chocolate chips. Put them in a microwave-safe bowl for about 45 seconds, stir with a rubber spatula and return for another 30 seconds, sir and repeat until just melted. Be sure to check the chocolate often, to avoid burning it in the microwave. Once melted, remove from heat and let cool for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Crumble the tofu into a blender. Add the soy milk, agave and vanilla extract. Puree until completely smooth.
- Add the chocolate to the tofu and blend until well combined, using the spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender.
- Transfer the mousse to an air tight container or a bowl covered with plastic wrap and let chill for about an hour.
Basic Chocolate Vegan Cupcake
About 40 minutes to make
Also from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra and Terry Hope Romero
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. If you don’t have a sifter, a colander with a fine mesh will do just fine. Tap the side until all the dry ingredients have passed through.
- Add the sugar, oil and vanilla extract to the soy milk mixture and whisk for a few minutes until foamy.
- Add the dry ingredients in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain. Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before transferring them to cooling rack.