If you follow us on Instagram you might have seen photos from my trip to Thailand in March. I had the pleasure of co-hosting a retreat where we started each day with a sweaty and wonderful yoga practice and met later in the afternoon for vegan cooking class. We did a lot of authentic Thai cooking, but I also wanted to highlight some of the incredible fruit that’s seemingly always in season. One of the recipes I came up with was a mango smoothie bowl. This Mango Kiwi Smoothie Bowl is a riff on the creamy, refreshing dish we made in Thailand and it totally brings me back.
One glance at the ingredient list and you might be tempted to hit the back button on your browser. Cauliflower in a smoothie? Hear me out! Steamed and frozen cauliflower is a really great way of sneaking more vegetables into your smoothies and making them thick enough to eat with a spoon. The taste is barely detectable when you’re focused on the slammin’ flavors of sweet mango, fresh ginger, and zippy lime. I like to steam and freeze an entire head of cauliflower florets at once and use a handful in smoothies throughout the week.
You might be wondering why one would want to eat a smoothie with a spoon. Why not just make a liquid smoothie you can sip through a straw? You totally can – just blend it longer to get your smoothie extra smooth and add a splash more almond milk or water to thin it out. I like eating smoothie bowls because it allows for crunchy toppings and extra fruit. Plus, it sort of feels like I’m eating a bowl of ice cream for breakfast. How can you argue with that?
I hope this Mango Kiwi Smoothie Bowl becomes a summertime staple for breakfasts and snacks at your house. By the way, would you be interested in joining me on a yoga and vegan cooking retreat in Thailand if we decide to host one again? Drop me a message in the comments!Print
Cauliflower in a smoothie bowl? Yes way! The taste is barely detectable when you’re focused on the slammin’ flavors of sweet mango, fresh ginger, and zippy lime.
- ½ cup cauliflower florets, steamed and frozen
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp. water (plus more, as needed)
- 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¾ tsp. lime juice
- ¾ cup mango chunks, frozen
- For serving: sliced kiwi, hemp seeds, shredded coconut (optional)
- Fill a pot of water with a few inches of water and fit it with a steamer basket. Bring the water to a boil; add the cauliflower to the basket, and cover. Reduce heat to a simmer and steam for 7 to 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is fork-tender.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and allow it to cool to room temperature. Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- When you’re ready to make the smoothie, pour the almond milk and water into your blender, followed by the kiwi, ginger, hemp seeds, lime juice, mango, and frozen cauliflower. Blend on low for a thicker consistency, adding more water a tablespoon at a time to keep things moving. Add more lime juice if you like a more tart smoothie.
- Pour the smoothie into two small bowls and garnish with your favorite toppings.