Rhubarb is the unsung hero of summer desserts. Really, it doesn’t get enough credit. I absolutely adored strawberry rhubarb pie as a kid, but I only recently started cooking with it. If you’re also new to rhubarb, this recipe for strawberry rhubarb jam is a great introduction.
Along with fresh strawberries, the rhubarb cooks down into a delightful, goopy sauce that sweetens up pancakes, waffles, and vegan ice cream. It’s also a fantastic topping for overnight quinoa. Want to eat it by the spoonful? No judgment here!
This recipe makes about one cup of strawberry rhubarb jam. I use the word “jam” lightly here; we aren’t sterilizing a jar or taking the proper steps for an extended shelf life. It’s more like compote, so keep it refrigerated and eat it within two weeks.Print
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Along with fresh strawberries, rhubarb cooks down into a delightful, goopy sauce that sweetens up pancakes, waffles, and vegan ice cream. It’s also a fantastic topping for overnight quinoa. Want to eat it by the spoonful? No judgment here!
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- 2 stalks rhubarb, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. coconut nectar (or agave)
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- Combine the strawberries, rhubarb, water, and coconut nectar or agave in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer over low heat.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. The fruit should be broken down and syrupy when done.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chia seeds. Allow the jam to cool and thicken in the saucepan for another 20 minutes before pouring it into a container and storing in the fridge.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 27
- Sugar: 3.9 g
- Sodium: 1.1 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Protein: 0.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: strawberry, rhubarb, jam, sauce, dessert, breakfast
Yum! I recently bought a raspberry rhubarb jam at a Farmer's Market and it was fantastic! I love how the rhubarb isn't overly sweet. Definitely will have to try this!