Who remembers eating tortilla roll-ups back in the day? I think the classic combination was something like: flour tortilla, turkey, and cheddar cheese. At least it was in my house. When I was a kid my dad would stick them in the microwave to get them warm and melty before serving them to my sister and I for lunch. These days, my roll-ups are a bit more sophisticated. This Vegan Greek Salad Wrap is my healthy take on a tried and true lunch that’s perfect for work, school, picnics, and everything in between.
This veggie-loaded wrap is easy to throw together when you’re in a rush to get out the door. I’m talking 10 minutes, tops. You’re going to love the explosive flavor combination of hummus, tomatoes, cucumber, pepperoncini, and kalamata olives. Of course, I had to throw some baby spinach in there for some “green.”
Whole-wheat tortillas make a great vehicle for all the goodies. If your tortillas feel a little bit stiff or stale, sprinkle some water on them and pop them in the microwave for 10 seconds. This will make them more pliable and less prone to breakage. Then top each tortilla with the hummus and such. Pro tip: as much as we love Ezekiel wraps, we don’t recommend them for this recipe. They tend to crack when rolled – not good!
This wrap is so easy to make, but there is some technique involved. To get the best result, it’s important to tuck and roll as tightly as you can. Give the whole thing a good squeeze before placing it seam-side down on your cutting board. Don’t forget an extra smear of hummus on the end to hold everything together! Use a sharp knife to gently slice the wrap in half. I always remember to pack a fork with my wrap to eat any filling that spills out.Print
This Vegan Greek Salad Wrap is so simple, yet packed with flavor. Hummus, cucumber, tomato, pepperoncini, kalamata olives, and fresh spinach make for a delicious work or vegan school lunch.
- 2 whole-wheat tortillas (burrito size)
- 6 Tbsp. regular or red pepper hummus (we love the HOPE brand)
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- ⅔ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup pepperoncini, sliced
- 2 tsp. good olive oil
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Spread 3 tablespoons of hummus onto one of the tortillas. Layer on half of the spinach and top with cucumber, tomatoes, olives, and pepperoncini, leaving a half-inch of free space towards the top. Drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Fold in the two sides of the tortilla and, starting at the end closest to you, lift up the bottom edge, tucking it inwards. Begin to roll the tortilla up, tucking and rolling as tightly as possible. When you reach the end, spread another dab of hummus across the top of the tortilla to help it stick before positioning it seam-side down on your cutting board.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the wrap in half. Repeat with the remaining tortilla to make the second wrap. Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge overnight.