Carrots with Shallots, Sage and Thyme is one of my all time favorite Thanksgiving recipes. I can’t remember where I found it — I’ve been referencing a magazine cutout for over a decade. But it’s a keeper.
A great holiday recipe or anytime you’re expecting a crowd. The recipe serves 8, but don’t hesitate to halve the quantities and enjoy it any night of the week.
The regular Earth Balance is soy based, but there is a soy-free product if you’re looking to avoid soy.
Carrots with Shallots, Sage and Thyme
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 3 lbs. carrots, peeled
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 lb. shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Cut carrots into 3-by 1/2-inch sticks.
- Bring stock to a boil with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a 12-inch heavy skillet. Add carrots and simmer, covered, until just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and boil until most of liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Transfer carrots to a bowl and wipe out skillet.
- Cook shallots in Earth Balance with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden- brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add sage, thyme, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until very fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and return carrots to skillet, tossing to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 288
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0