This French potato salad recipe is ideal for all of you mayonnaise haters out there. Fresh and light, it’s a welcome addition to any picnic spread.
When preparing this recipe, you want the potatoes to be tender, but not mushy. Cutting the potatoes before cooking greatly reduces the mushed, torn potato factor, but be sure to keep a close eye on them as they’re cooking. If not, you’ll have a big pot of mashed potatoes which probably wouldn’t be too bad either. And really any mix of fresh herbs is great. They don’t have to be exactly like the instructions.Print
Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated
- 2 lbs. small red potatoes (about 2-inch diameter), unpeeled, scrubbed, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick chunks
- 1 tablespoons + 1tsp. salt
- 1 medium clove garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chervil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon or dill leaves
- Place potatoes, 6 cups cold tap water, and salt in large saucepan; bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium. Lower skewered garlic into simmering water and partially blanch, about 45 seconds. Immediately run garlic under cold tap water to stop cooking; remove garlic from skewer and set aside. Continue to simmer potatoes, uncovered, until tender but still firm (thin-bladed paring knife can be slipped into and out of center of potato slice with no resistance), about 5 minutes. Drain potatoes, reserving 1/3 cup cooking water. Arrange hot potatoes close together in single layer on rimmed baking sheet.
- Press garlic through garlic press or mince by hand. Whisk garlic, reserved potato cooking water, vinegar, mustard, oil, and pepper in small bowl until combined. Drizzle dressing evenly over warm potatoes; let stand 10 minutes.
- Toss shallot and herbs in small bowl. Transfer potatoes to large serving bowl; add shallot/herb mixture and mix gently with rubber spatula to combine. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 151
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 2388
- Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0