I love macaroni salad. No only because they're rich and creamy, but also the vegan variety is almost indistinguishable from the real deal. This turn of the macaroni salad comes courtesy our good friend and excellent home cook, Tom Johnson. He suggests preparing your salad the night before to give the flavors and mayo plenty of time to come together. This can easily be made with a gluten-free pasta if you have an intolerance or just want to cut back on the wheat products.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- 1 lb. elbow pasta
- ½ large english cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill
- 1 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups vegan mayonnaise, try Just Mayo
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While water is reaching temperature, chop vegetables. When water is ready, add olive oil (splash), kosher salt (dash) and dry pasta. Cook approximately 10 minutes till al dente. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Let pasta cool for about 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl combine half of the pasta and half of the veggie mix along with half of the vegan mayonnaise. Stir gently with large spoon. Add the remaining pasta, veggies, lemon juice and vegan mayonnaise and a large pinch of dill. Continue to combine until all elements are thoroughly coated. Add additional vegan mayonnaise until it has reached the desired light coating. Add additional dill, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with saran wrap or parchment paper. Weight it down with 2 plates. It gets better as it sits, so don't hesitate to make it the night before.
- Serving Size: 10
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 148
- Fat: 15
- Carbohydrates: 16
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0
Macaroni Salad is very suitable for those who are in need of weight loss. Thank you for giving me a way of your recipe.
Electric Pressure Cooker
This macaroni salad looks yummy! Will try it tonight!
Thanks for sharing.
This is the BEST macaroni salad ever. It looks delicious! and i love this macaroni salad, amazing and useful to all
It looks delicious! Just made it and it’s chilling in the fridge! The dressing was on the sweeter side for me though. Is that how it is supposed to be? Thank you for all the yummy recipes!!!
@Jen - I love the idea of adding parsley! Dill can be very polarizing in a crowd.
This is the BEST macaroni salad ever. Heck, I never even knew I *liked* macaroni salad until I had this. I left out the dill (just not something I like) and put in red onions and fresh parsley instead. But yum, yum, yum! Thanks for the recipe!