I love macaroni salad. No only because they’re rich and creamy, but also the vegan variety is almost indistinguishable from the real deal. This turn of the macaroni salad comes courtesy our good friend and excellent home cook, Tom Johnson. He suggests preparing your salad the night before to give the flavors and mayo plenty of time to come together. This can easily be made with a gluten-free pasta if you have an intolerance or just want to cut back on the wheat products.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 10
- 1 lb. elbow pasta
- 1/2 large english cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill
- 1 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups vegan mayonnaise, try Just Mayo
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While water is reaching temperature, chop vegetables. When water is ready, add olive oil (splash), kosher salt (dash) and dry pasta. Cook approximately 10 minutes till al dente. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Let pasta cool for about 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl combine half of the pasta and half of the veggie mix along with half of the vegan mayonnaise. Stir gently with large spoon. Add the remaining pasta, veggies, lemon juice and vegan mayonnaise and a large pinch of dill. Continue to combine until all elements are thoroughly coated. Add additional vegan mayonnaise until it has reached the desired light coating. Add additional dill, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with saran wrap or parchment paper. Weight it down with 2 plates. It gets better as it sits, so don’t hesitate to make it the night before.
- Serving Size: 10
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 148
- Fat: 15
- Carbohydrates: 16
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0