I’m always looking for new recipes to add some variety to the various holiday tables, be it Friendsgiving, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, all the days. We can’t eat the same things over and over. We’re not animals. And as vegans, our festive options could use some expanding.
When I went to make this recipe, the asparagus was way too skinny. I think a heartier stalk works best for this recipe, but work with what you get. If you’re new to toasting pine nuts, it’s a snap. Just put them on a tray lined with parchment (the small toaster oven trays work great), pop them in the oven and don’t walk away! They take just a few minutes to toast and they burn in a flash.
The napkin in this photo is from our friends at Beautiful Ingredient.
- 1 lb. asparagus, ends removed and cut in 2” pieces
- 8oz. whole crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 4 oz. small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut in 1” chunks
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Line two large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, toss potatoes and mushrooms in 1 tbsp. olive oil. Pour out onto the first baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Lay the asparagus out on the second baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Remove the asparagus from the oven after about 15-20 minutes or until just starting to get soft. Roast the potatoes and mushrooms another 20 minutes or until slightly browned, turning halfway through.
- Toss cooked vegetables in a large bowl with pine nuts and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.