Twice baked potato bites are the ultimate party snack. The original recipe for twice baked potatoes calls for sour cream. On our first pass we used vegan sour cream and they were alright. No bad at all, but a little flat even with the fresh chives.
On our second attempt we substituted the sour cream with a vegan Chive & Garlic Cream Cheese from Go Veggie!. Pretty awesome. Just the flavor kick we needed, but if you can’t find it at the store vegan sour cream or vegan cream cheese works just fine.
If you happen to have a melon baller on hand, the smaller side works great for scooping the potatoes out. If, not any small spoon will work. But seriously, wait until they’re cool before you scoop. These little spuds can really hold their heat.
Twice Baked Potato Bites
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 28 bites
- 2 lbs. red new potatoes (about 14), halved
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 cup vegan chive and garlic cream cheese
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each potato half so they rest flat. In a large bowl, toss potatoes with oil; season with salt and pepper, and arrange bottom side down. Bake until tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on sheet.
- When the potatoes are cool enough, scoop out about a teaspoon from the center of each potato into a medium bowl. Add cream cheese and chives, and mash; season with salt and pepper. Stuff potatoes with filling. (To store, refrigerate stuffed potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet, up to 1 day.)
- Bake potatoes at 450 degrees until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Garnish with chives.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 192
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 105
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 0