Have a bounty of fresh tomatoes from your garden and aren't sure what to do with them? Make this Smokey Tomato Jam! It's delicious as a topping for toast or your favorite vegan burger. Pair it with fresh basil for a quintessential summer treat. Print
Smokey Tomato Jam
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: Vegan
This Smokey Tomato Jam is delicious as a topping for toast or your favorite vegan burger. Pair it with fresh basil for a quintessential summer treat.
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. white wine vinegar
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Carefully drop the tomatoes into the boiling water and boil for about a minute. Remove the tomatoes from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and put them directly in the ice bath.
- Peel the tomatoes by hand in the ice water and then transfer them to a cutting board. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise and discard the seeds by squeezing the tomatoes over a bowl. Roughly chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Place the chopped tomatoes in a large pot (you can use the same one you used to boil the tomatoes, but pour the water out first). Add the coconut sugar and stir. Allow the tomatoes to stand at room temperature for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Bring the tomatoes to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Lower the heat to medium-low and continue to cook until the jam has thickened, about 10 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in the white wine vinegar. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve on toast, crackers, sliced baguette, or as a condiment on vegan burgers.
This recipe was adapted from Epicurious.
Leave a Reply