I have never been to an apple orchard. For how much I love everything about fall, it almost seems criminal that I have yet to pluck my own fresh apples from trees in an apple orchard. I have plans to visit an apple orchard before it gets too cold this year, and I’m very excited about the possibility of crossing the activity off my autumn bucket list.
Until then, I will continue to make recipes like this Vegan Cinnamon Apple Crumble with store-bought apples. I cannot even imagine how much better this fall dessert will taste with freshly picked produce!
Apple crumble, or apple crisp as we called it, was a fall tradition in my house growing up. My mom or dad would slice the apples paper thin on a mandolin and pile them in a baking dish to bake beneath a crispy topping. I actually prefer my apples to retain their shape and have a tiny bite to them, so I sliced them a bit thicker in this apple crumble recipe. If you like really soft and mushy apples in your apple crumble, slice them as thinly as possible.
The topping for this apple crumble is gluten-free, as long as you use gluten-free oats. A few pulses in the food processor chops all of the ingredients into a chunky meal that should stick together slightly when pressed between two fingers. If your topping is dry, add a tablespoon of water (or two) and continue to pulse until the texture is just right.
Sprinkle the topping over the sliced apples and stick your baking dish in the oven. The smell of roasting apples, cinnamon, and sugar will soon fill your kitchen with an intoxicating aroma. It’s seriously so good!
Bake for 40 minutes or so, until the apples have softened and the topping is golden and crisp. I ate my portion with a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream, which I highly, highly recommend.
This Vegan Cinnamon Apple Crumble is a quintessential fall dessert. It’s the perfect way to use up your bounty of apples from the apple orchard!Print
Cinnamon Apple Crumble (Gluten-Free and Vegan)
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
- Diet: Gluten Free
This Cinnamon Apple Crumble is a quintessential fall dessert. It’s the perfect way to use up your bounty of apples from the apple orchard!
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Vegan ice cream, coconut whipped cream, or dairy-free yogurt, for serving (optional)
- For the topping:
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free if required)
- 1 cup roasted and salted pecans, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of water
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
- Core and slice the apples into thin wedges. For very soft apples, slice them thinly with a mandolin or a sharp knife, about ⅛th inch thick. For apples that are soft, yet have a bite to them, slice them a little thicker, about ¼ inch thick. Set the apple slices in a 9x13-inch baking dish and toss with the lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Sprinkle the spices over the apples and toss to coat all of the pieces.
- To make the apple crumble topping, combine the old fashioned rolled oats, pecans, coconut sugar, cinnamon, salt, almond flour, and melted coconut oil in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture clumps together slightly, adding a touch of water to help if needed. If you’re using raw or unsalted pecans, add a pinch more salt to balance the flavors.
- Sprinkle the prepared apple crumble topping over the sliced apples and bake for 40 minutes, until the apples are soft when pierced with a knife and the topping has turned golden and crisp.
- Serve the apple crumble warm with a scoop of vegan ice cream, coconut whipped cream, or dairy-free yogurt.
Nutrition information does not include vegan ice cream, coconut whipped cream, or dairy-free yogurt.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 15.5 g
- Sodium: 130.1 mg
- Fat: 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.6 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: dairy-free apple crumble, vegan apple crumble, easy apple crumble
Leave a Reply