It’s definitely October, but here in Los Angeles it feels like summer is never going to end. We’ve suffered another heatwave this week and I am craving a change in the weather. I remember feeling antsy about the lagging change in seasons when I lived in Chicago, too - for the opposite reason of course. A snow shower in late April would completely crush my spirit. It’s pretty ironic how excited I am for cooler weather when that’s all I wanted to get away from most of my adult life. All of this is to say, this Vegan Apple Cider Cake with Maple Glaze gave me the taste of autumn I’ve been wanting for weeks.
I have to confess: baking makes me nervous. Cooking is so much more relaxed for me. I can add a little bit of this or that to a dish until I’m happy with it. When developing recipes like this Vegan Apple Cider Cake with Maple Glaze, I cross my fingers and hope for the best. Luckily, this fall dessert recipe came out absolutely delicious on the first try. The cake itself is perfectly moist and not overly saccharine, an ideal pairing for the sweet maple glaze to be drizzled on top.
Did you know that a bundt cake is just a regular cake baked in a funky pan? Spoiler alert: I learned this fact during the process of making my upcoming cookbook, Vegan Boards, which has a mini bundt cake board in it. I used a 9-inch bundt cake pan and the batter filled it a little more than halfway. This ended up being perfect, as the cake really expanded in the oven.
What happens if your cake sticks in the bundt pan?
Some of you will probably be annoyed to hear that I have never had this problem. My bundt cakes always slide right out with no sticking issues whatsoever. What’s my trick? I lightly coat the inside of the bundt pan with coconut oil cooking spray, making sure to get it in every nook and cranny. Then, when the bundt cake is done baking, I let it rest in the pan for 10 minutes before flipping it over onto a cooling rack. If you have any additional tips for getting a cake out of a bundt pan, feel free to share them in the recipe comments!
A sprinkle of cinnamon sugar and a drizzle of maple glaze take this apple cider cake to the next level. It’s the absolute perfect fall dessert recipe to share after a day of apple picking or for any autumn celebration.Print
This Vegan Apple Cider Cake with Maple Glaze is the ultimate fall dessert recipe! The seasonal flavor is perfect for any autumn celebration.
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons agave maple blend (or maple syrup)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup spiced apple cider
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 banana, mashed
For the cinnamon sugar topping:
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the maple glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter, softened
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and mist the inside of a 9-inch bundt pan with coconut oil cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl and whisk the ingredients together.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the agave maple blend, vanilla extract, apple cider, unsweetened apple sauce, and mashed banana. Stir to thoroughly mix.
- Slowly and carefully pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, using a large spoon or rubber spatula to mix all of the ingredients together. The consistency should resemble thick pancake batter.
- Pour the apple cider cake batter into the prepared bundt pant (it should be a little more than halfway full) and place it on the top rack of your oven. Bake the apple cider cake for 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cinnamon sugar topping by combining the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- combine the Place a cooling rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet. Allow the apple cider cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then carefully flip it over so the cake ends right side up on the cooling rack.
- While the apple cider cake is still warm, sprinkle the top with the cinnamon sugar topping.
- Just before serving, make the maple glaze. Combine all of the glaze toppings in a bowl and whisk until completely smooth. Transfer the glaze to a small pitcher for serving.
- Transfer the apple cider cake to a platter and drizzle with maple glaze. This cake is delicious both warm and at room temperature.
Keywords: vegan cake recipe, holiday cake recipe, easy holiday cake recipe