This kale walnut pesto is a simple and versatile sauce to add a little something extra to your favorite pasta. It’s also great as a vegetable dip or as a condiment for your favorite veggie burgers and dogs! If you don’t have kale, any hearty green will do.
This recipe makes about 1 cup of kale walnut pesto. Plenty for a pound of pasta. Be sure to set aside some pasta water for thinning the sauce, so it coats the pasta nicely.
Kale Walnut Pesto
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup
- 1/2 bunch kale, discard stems and chop
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Juice from 1/2 lemon to start, up to 1 lemon to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a teaspoon of salt and the kale. Cook for 5 minutes and transfer the kale to a colander, using a slotted spoon.
- Combine the kale, walnuts, garlic, nutritional yeast, olive oil, and lemon juice in a food processor. Process until smooth. Add salt and pepper and more lemon to taste.