Skip the freezer-burned vegan patties and enjoy these hearty, flavorful grilled portobello mushroom burgers at your next barbecue. If you aren't the outdoorsy type, grill them up in the comfort of your own kitchen. Substitute a cast iron grill pan for the barbecue, but if you don't have one just about any skillet-type pan will do.
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger with Basil Aioli
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
Adapted from http://www.barbecuebible.com
Vegan Aioli Ingredients
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 3 garlic cloves, put through a garlic press
- 24 fresh basil leaves, thinly slivered
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- fresh ground pepper
Portobello Burger Ingredients
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, wiped clean with dampened paper towels
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tomato, cut crosswise into ½-inch slices
- 1 bunch arugula, washed and spun dry
- 4 hamburger buns
- fresh ground pepper
- To make the basil aioli: Combine the vegan mayonnaise, garlic, basil, and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Alternatively, you could toss it all into a small food processor and pulse until well combined.
- For the portobello burgers: Cut the stems off the portobello mushrooms flush with the mushroom caps. Using the tip of a paring knife, make tiny holes in the caps.
- Combine the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl and whisk to mix. Generously brush the portobello caps and tomato slices with some of the oil and vinegar mixture and season them with salt and pepper.
- Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
- Arrange the portobello caps, rounded side down, grill until nicely browned and soft, about 3 to 6 minutes per side.
- Spread the insides of the rolls or buns with basil aioli. Add the grilled mushrooms, tomato slices, and arugula.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 509
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 360
- Fat: 47
- Carbohydrates: 11
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0
Glad to hear! It's definitely one of my favorite summer recipes 🙂
We have made this recipe multiple times. Fresh, full of flavor. We love these!
Wow! Simple, delicious, and satisfying. This recipe is a keeper.