Happy New Year!!
How did you ring in 2018? We had a few friends over for a small celebration. I was on snack duty (naturally) and Andrew was busy at the bar cart mixing up Manhattans. I usually love making a fun appetizer for parties, but my brain has been in holiday mode the past few weeks. So, I put some cashews in a bowl, set out some chips and salsa, and called it a day. I was a bit stressed about not providing an impressive spread, but you know what? Everyone had so much fun and nobody cared. We played games, danced to Michael Jackson records, and rang in the New Year with plenty of champagne.
Speaking of snacks and champagne, my body is craving nutrient-dense food after an indulgent holiday season. I’m not big on making resolutions, but I do think the New Year is a great time for reflection and realistic goal setting. One of mine is to make sure there is always a rainbow of color on my plate. An easy way to do this is by throwing together a bowl.
You’ve probably seen similar recipes referred to as “macro bowls” or “buddha bowls,” but I’m calling this one a “glow bowl.” Why? I carefully selected ingredients that are great for the hair and skin (sweet potato, kale, and avocado), which could both use a little TLC during these cold winter months.
If you’re wondering about the “detox” bit, here’s my scientific explanation. Beets contain a mixture of phytochemicals and minerals that make them wonderful for purifying the blood and cleansing the liver – one of our main detox organs. When the liver is overloaded with alcohol, caffeine, and refined sugar (hello, holiday season), toxins will find another way to exit the body – through the skin. If you’re struggling with skin breakouts or your complexion appears congested, it’s a sign that your detox system needs some love.
This Vegan Detox Glow Bowl is the perfect way to kick off a year of healthy eating. Quinoa, roasted sweet potatoes, massaged kale, steamed beets, and avocado are drizzled in a simple lemon tahini sauce for a meal that will make you feel radiant from the inside out.
This Vegan Detox Glow Bowl is the perfect way to kick off a year of healthy eating and feel radiant from the inside out!
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed and diced
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. harissa (or paprika)
- 1 medium-size beet, cut into 1-inch wedges
- ¼ bunch lacinto kale
- ½ tsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Pinch of salt
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ½ cup sprouts (broccoli or alfalfa)
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees. Combine ½ cup quinoa and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook quinoa for 15 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Transfer the diced sweet potato to a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil; season with harissa and toss to coat. Roast sweet potatoes for 20 minutes, until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water fitted with a steamer basket to a boil. Arrange the beet wedges in a single layer and cover. Steam for 10 to 15 minutes, until the beets are fork tender. Transfer the beets to a cutting board and, once cool enough to handle, use a paper towel to gently remove the skin.
- Remove the tough stems from the kale and discard. Roughly chop the kale into small pieces and transfer them to a bowl. Drizzle with ½ teaspoon olive oil and use your fingers to massage the oil into the kale leaves until they’re soft and bright green.
- Combine the tahini and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add water a teaspoon at a time to thin the mixture until it reaches a smooth and stir-able consistency. Season with a pinch of salt and add additional lemon juice if desired.
- To assemble, divide the quinoa between two bowls and top with the kale, beets, sweet potato, avocado, and sprouts. Drizzle with lemon tahini dressing and serve warm or at room temperature.