Who doesn’t like a warm, creamy bowl of vegan corn chowder?! It’s easy enough to whip up, just remember to get your cashews soaking the night before. And if you don’t want to deal with fresh corn, frozen works nicely too. Just figure 1 ear of corn is about 1/2 cup. If you have a Trader Joe’s nearby, check out the roasted corn in the frozen section. If I’m going frozen, I’ll use half regular, half roasted. Adds some extra smoky flavor.
- Sea salt
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced Vidalia onions
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, deribbed and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 dried chipotle pepper
- 5 cups faux chicken stock
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- Kernels from 6 ears of corn
- 1 1/2 cups thick Cashew Cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced chives (optional)
- 1/2 cup diced tomato (optional)
- Place a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the oil and heat for 30 seconds, being careful not to let it smoke.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, bell pepper, and chipotle pepper. Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the stock, potatoes, and thyme, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- With the back of a spoon, smash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot and stir to thicken the soup. Add the raw corn and Cashew Cream, season with salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the chipotle pepper and thyme sprigs. Garnish with the chives and tomato.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 484
- Sugar: 15
- Sodium: 509
- Fat: 25
- Carbohydrates: 56
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 13
- Cholesterol: 0