A few weeks ago I made some fresh pineapple salsa that I planned to use for a taco recipe. I promise that recipe is still coming! But at the time all I really wanted to do was eat that salsa with some really good tortilla chips. So, I made some. I love a bag of tortilla chips, but nothing compares to warm, crunchy, salty chips from the oven. It takes practically zero effort to make your own homemade baked tortilla chips and I’m going to show you how.
You can use a knife or kitchen shears to cut your tortillas into triangles. I stacked my tortillas in groups of three or four and cut through them easily with a pizza cutter. Don’t get too caught up in making perfect shapes. They’re going to taste great no matter what.
The key to perfectly crisp baked tortilla chips is to evenly, yet lightly, coat each triangle in oil. I found it most efficient to oil a baking sheet, then add the tortillas and flip/massage each piece. You’ll want to arrange the triangles in a single layer so each one has full contact with the hot sheet pan. Sprinkle the tortillas with as much salt as you’d like and pop them in the oven to crisp up.
Flip your chips halfway through baking and sprinkle with more salt. Keep an eye on the chips in the last few minutes of baking to make sure they don’t burn. They should be golden brown and crisp after 15 to 17 minutes total. Let them cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before enjoying with your favorite salsa. They’re also super tasty crumbled on taco salad or over vegan chili.
If you make these homemade baked tortilla chips, leave a comment here and let us know how it goes. And, tag us on Instagram! We love seeing how you take Well Vegan recipes and make them your own.Print
Nothing compares to warm, crunchy, salty chips from the oven. It takes practically zero effort to make your own homemade baked tortilla chips!
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
- Stack the tortillas in groups of three or four and use a knife, pizza cutter, or kitchen shears to cut the corn tortillas into four equal pieces.
- Drizzle the olive oil on two half sheet pans and tilt back and forth to coat the bottom in a thin layer of oil. Divide the tortilla pieces between the baking sheets and gently flip/massage both sides with olive oil.
- Arrange the tortilla pieces in a single layer across both baking sheets and sprinkle with sea salt, as much or little as you’d like. Place the baking sheets in the oven on the middle rack and bake the tortilla chips for 7 minutes.
- Use tongs to flip the tortilla chips and sprinkle with a pinch more salt. Continue baking for 9 to 10 minutes more, until lightly toasted and crisp. Allow the tortilla chips to cool on the baking sheet and enjoy with fresh salsa!