Traditionally a meat-based dish, we gave pâté a plant-based makeover with hearty mushrooms, which impart a delightful umami flavor, walnuts and thyme.
The result is a savory, highly spreadable paste that tastes divine on crackers or a sandwich. In fact, did you know that pâté is not only a mainstay of hors d’oeuvre trays (and our vegan charcuterie board), it’s also a key ingredient in the Vietnamese bánh mì sandwich? Since a vegan bánh mì can be a tricky to come by in traditional restaurants, you can rest assured you now have one of the key ingredients to make them at home.
Pulse in the food processor a bit longer for an ultra-smooth result, or leave it a bit chunky to experience the many layers of texture. You can serve this Mushroom Pâté hot or cold, but it tastes best at room temperature. Choose your own adventure!
- 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb. Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ⅔ cup walnuts, toasted
- ¼ cup white wine
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium-low. Add the onion and sauté until it starts to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add mushroom, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook until all of the liquid from the mushroom has evaporated, 18-20 minutes.
- Add the wine and turn up the heat to medium. Cook until the liquid evaporates again, 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to a food processor with the walnuts and another tablespoon of olive oil. Blend for about 30 seconds, until the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving.