Spending an obscene amount of time at home is an unavoidable reality for most of us right now. On the other end of the spectrum are the grocery store workers, delivery drivers, and medical professionals who are risking their lives every day to keep us fed and safe. Whether you have more time to cook or it’s business as usual, I don’t think there’s a single person out there who couldn’t benefit from a comforting bowl of soup. Especially when it’s infused with peanut butter! Introducing, our spicy peanut soup with coconut and kale.
I’ve long been a fan of cooking with peanut butter. It’s my favorite way to marinate tofu (along with a splash of soy sauce and lime juice) and it can be used to make a pretty killer salad dressing, too. Peanut butter makes this soup thick and hearty while lending delicious peanut-y flavor. Crunchy or smooth, salted or unsalted - it’s your call. If you use unsalted peanut butter, you’ll just need to add another pinch of salt to this soup to make the flavors sing.
I ran out of vegetable broth the other day so I made my own for the first time. Yes, it’s true. I exclusively use vegetable broth from a carton. I am a woman of convenience! But, I found myself with a few extra vegetables and a whole lot of extra time on my hands this weekend so I followed a recipe for vegetable stock in Laura Wright’s cookbook, The First Mess. It’s honestly so easy, and it tasted so good. So good that I made another batch the next day. I am now a person who makes her own vegetable broth.
Apple might seem like a surprising choice for this savory soup, but trust me. It adds just the right amount of sweetness in every bite. I’m partial to pink lady apples, but you can use any sweet apple in this recipe. My fiancé ate the only sweet apple I brought home from the store so granny smith had to do! It was actually great. So, ignore my apple advice and use what you’ve got on hand.Print
Spicy Peanut Soup with Coconut and Kale
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
This Spicy Peanut Soup with Coconut and Kale is packed full of nutrients. It's a great way to sneak in a serving of fruits and veggies!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Chopped peanuts, for garnish
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the chili pepper flakes, salt, and cumin. Saute until fragrant, another minute or so. Now add the tomato paste and stir to combine the ingredients.
- Pour in the vegetable broth along with the diced tomatoes, chickpeas, and peanut butter. Stir to fully combine. Bring the soup to a simmer, then reduce the heat slightly to maintain a gentle simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the diced apple and coconut milk to the soup and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes or so. Remove from heat and stir in the kale and lime juice. Taste the soup and adjust the flavors to taste (I added a pinch more salt).
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with chopped peanuts, cilantro, and more chili pepper flakes. Serve with crackers, rice, or a piece of naan for maximum coziness.
Nutrition info does not include peanuts for topping, crackers, rice, or bread.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 499
- Sugar: 18 g
- Sodium: 1343.7 mg
- Fat: 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 14.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.1 g
- Fiber: 8.9 g
- Protein: 15.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
It looks so delicious. A recipe that is full of nutrition. A healthy one..!!!