I don’t post a lot of my personal life on the internet but I do have some exciting news worth sharing. I got married! After the pandemic disrupted our original wedding plans, my husband and I eloped on March 6, 2021 on a gorgeous mountaintop in Ojai, California. Despite the covid-related circumstances surrounding our wedding, it was a perfect day. This recipe for Beet and Citrus Salad with Mint was inspired by a post-wedding brunch at Little Sama in Ojai.
The Beet and Citrus Salad at Little Sama completely blew me away. Their version had gem lettuce, radish, curried lime dressing, and candied coriander. The flavors were so unique. I highly recommend it if you’re ever in the area! The salad you see here is simpler but still makes a big impact. You’ll notice there aren’t any salad greens here. This Beet and Citrus Salad with Mint serves as a good reminder that salads don’t have to be stuffed with leafy green vegetables.
If you’re not typically one to make or order a beet salad, hear me out. Golden beets are less “earthy” than red beets and they’re also sweeter. Bonus: they won’t stain your cutting board! The beautiful golden color pops against the deep blood orange and pink grapefruit. Mint adds more fresh flavor and an agave-sweetened lime dressing ties everything together. Fresh basil would also be a delicious addition or swap for the mint.
I will admit, this is not a weekday pack-and-go salad. You’ll need to roast the beets and supreme the blood oranges and the grapefruit, which can take some patience. I’m a visual person so I recorded a quick video of how to supreme an orange. Coming soon!
This Beet and Citrus Salad with Mint is an ideal first-course when you want to impress your dinner guests. I imagine enjoying it at an outdoor dining table with a good bottle of wine and great friends. Perhaps near a pool? I can dream! I hope you enjoy this simple salad and have fun plating all of the beautiful shapes and colors.Print
Beet and Citrus Salad with Mint
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Oven
- Diet: Vegan
This Beet and Citrus Salad with Mint serves as a good reminder that salads don’t have to be stuffed with leafy green vegetables.
- 2 bunches golden beets (6 to 7 medium-sized beets)
- 4 blood oranges
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave
- Pinch of salt
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- Lime zest and blood orange zest, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425F degrees. Wash and trim the beets and wrap each in a square of aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes, until fork tender. Unwrap the beets and allow them to cool while you prep the rest of the salad.
- Use a sharp knife to slice off the top and bottom from each blood orange. Then use your knife to carefully cut away the peel, leaving as much fruit in-tact as you can (see video above). Slice the blood orange into ¼-inch rounds and set aside. Repeat this process with the grapefruit.
- Next, make the salad dressing. Combine the olive oil, lime juice, agave, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl and whisk together. Adjust the flavors to taste.
- Once they’re cool enough to handle, peel the beets and slice them into wedges. Add the beets to a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of the lime dressing.
- Divide the blood orange, grapefruit, and golden beets between four plates and drizzle with remaining dressing. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and lime and blood orange zest. Enjoy fresh.
Keywords: citrus salad recipe
Leave a Reply