Isn’t nature amazing? Every time I walk the dog around my Los Angeles neighborhood I’m stunned by how gorgeous the landscape is. The flowers that grow here are so vibrant they almost look fake. It makes me wonder why there are so many gross dyes in packaged foods. Every color you could possibly want grows straight from the ground. If you’ve ever used turmeric in a recipe you know exactly what I’m talking about. Its color is so potent it can stain your clothes if you’re not careful.
Beets are another one of those vibrant products of the earth. I’m in constant awe of its striking purple-ish red color. I've been thinking about using beets to make pasta sauce for a while and I'm excited to share my recipe for Creamy Beet Linguine.
Not only are beets beautiful, they’re extremely healthy. They’re low in calories and contain almost every vitamin and mineral we need to thrive. Beets are also a good source of fiber, making them great for digestion. Above all, I like using beets in my recipes because I love the taste. I know some people think they taste like dirt (I can totally understand that) but I really adore the earthy flavor. When steamed and blended with cashews, lemon juice, and a few spices, beets make a gorgeous and tasty sauce for your favorite pasta.
Given the fact that it’s summer and approximately 90 degrees in my kitchen at all hours of the day, I chose to steam my beets. If it’s winter where you are, feel free to roast them. Just peel, slice, and toss the beets with a couple of teaspoons of olive oil. They should become tender after 35 to 40 minutes in a 400F degree oven. Then, add them to your blender with cashews (soaked overnight or quick boiled), salt and pepper, olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. The flavor is savory and subtle and absolutely delicious. I topped my pasta with a bit of lemon zest, fresh parsley, and chopped walnuts, but feel free to get creative!Print
Creamy Beet Linguine
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
This Creamy Beet Linguine is fresh, vibrant, and gorgeous on a plate. Serve topped with lemon zest, fresh parsley, and chopped walnuts for an impressive main course.
- 8 ounces beets, trimmed and sliced into ½-inch wedges (roughly 2 medium-sized beets)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1¼ cups of water
- ½ tsp. salt
- Few twists of black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 8 oz. linguine
- Lemon zest, for garnish
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Walnuts, chopped, for garnish
- Fill a pot with a couple of inches of water and fit it with a steamer basket. Arrange the beets in a single layer and cover. Bring the water to a simmer and steam the beets for about 20 minutes, until the beets are fork tender. Set the beets aside to cool.
- Combine the cashews with 1¼ cups of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook the cashews for 10 minutes. Do not drain! Add the cashews and the cooking water to your blender.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel them and add them to the blender along with the salt, olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. Blend until creamy and smooth. Adjust lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, rinse, and return the pasta to the pot. Pour the creamy beet sauce over the noodles and gently toss to coat.
- To serve, use tongs to add a heap of pasta to each plate. Garnish with lemon zest, fresh parsley, and chopped walnuts.
Nutrition info does not include garnishes.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 444
- Sugar: 7.1 g
- Sodium: 439 mg
- Fat: 11.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 71.3 g
- Protein: 14.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Looking for more creamy vegan pasta recipes? Grab a fork and get ready to dive into some creamy, comforting pasta dishes that just happen to be 100% vegan.
I tried this recipe at home yesterday, and it turned out to be really delicious..
Thank you so much for such a yummy recipe.
Gonna save this and will share with others.
Keep sharing 🙂