Everyone says this, but I really, really like fall. I tend to burn the candle at both ends every summer, committing to every social invitation and squeezing in as many weekend trips as my schedule allows. I also feel like I should be outside constantly to take advantage of the few months of warm, sunny weather. By October, my energy is zapped and I need to kick my self-care routine up a notch. Instead of drinking margaritas on a patio, I look forward to busting out my coziest socks, lighting a candle, and sipping tea on a Saturday afternoon.
Another reason I love autumn so much is because I have a few fall recipes I absolutely adore. One of them is a creamy, spicy pumpkin soup from Gluten Free Goddess. Another is this Almond & Maple Pumpkin Bread, which I only recently perfected. It’s inspired by a recipe from Running with Tweezers that I made years and years ago to give as holiday gifts. With a few modifications, I think my version is even better (not to mention, it’s vegan!)
This Almond & Maple Pumpkin Bread made my entire apartment smell amazing while it was baking. I wish a friend had popped over for a visit so I could trick them into thinking I’m an incredible baker. I’m really not. This bread is just that easy to make. It’s sweet, but not too sweet. You can really taste the subtle flavors of the pumpkin and maple syrup, which I love. With a crumbly dusting of sliced almonds and coconut sugar on top, this pumpkin bread is perfect for enjoying with a hot cup of coffee post-Thanksgiving dinner.
You’ll probably want to dig into this Almond & Maple Pumpkin Bread the moment you take it out of the oven. If you can resist the temptation, wait for it to cool. This allows time for the topping to set and get really crunchy.
Almond & Maple Pumpkin Bread
With a crumbly dusting of sliced almonds and coconut sugar on top, this Almond & Maple Pumpkin Bread is perfect for enjoying with a hot cup of coffee post-Thanksgiving dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 1 ¼ cups pumpkin
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350F and oil a 9” x 5” loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond butter, pumpkin, maple syrup, coconut oil, water, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Add another tablespoon of water if the mixture seems too thick.
- Scoop the bread mixture into the oiled loaf pan and use a butter knife or spatula to smooth out the top.
- Put the sliced almonds and coconut sugar in a small Ziplock bag and seal it shut. Use a heavy jar to crush the almonds into tiny pieces. Alternatively, you could use a food processor.
- Sprinkle the crushed almonds and coconut sugar on top of the bread. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes, slice, and serve.