I continue to be amazed at how a certain smell or taste can spark a memory. It’s one of the things I love most about cooking – and eating! For example, the smell of chili instantly takes me back to my grandparents’ old house; I can remember exactly what it looks like decades later.
Chocolate desserts also remind me of my grandparents. My grandpa was a type 2 diabetic and always had a bowl of sugar free chocolate pudding after dinner. I kept thinking of him as I tested this recipe for Easy Vegan Chocolate Mousse over the weekend. While it’s not sugar-free, it is naturally sweetened for a slightly healthier take on a classically indulgent dessert.
When I say this recipe is easy, I mean it’s really easy. There have been so many times when I want a bit of chocolate after dinner but don’t have it in me to whip up a batch of cookies or brownies. With this recipe for Easy Vegan Chocolate Mousse, there’s no need to dirty a bunch of dishes or turn on the oven. Just combine all of the ingredients in your food processor and blend until creamy smooth. Pop the bowl in the fridge to chill while you enjoy dinner, then scoop into bowls and serve.
I haven’t tested this theory, but I imagine that this recipe would work with silken tofu as well. Silken tofu, which you can find stocked in the international aisle of most grocery stores, is commonly used in vegan dessert recipes because it has the smoothest and finest consistency of all the tofu out there. As soon as I can get my hands on some, I’ll update this recipe.
Topping your mousse with coconut whipped cream and a cherry is totally optional, but I highly recommend it. These extra touches really make the dessert feel decadent and luxurious.Print
This Easy Vegan Chocolate Mousse is avocado-free and naturally sweetened for a slightly healthier take on a classically indulgent dessert.
- 1 19-oz. package of firm tofu, drained
- ½ cup raw cacao
- ¼ cup agave or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Pinch of sea salt
- Coconut whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Cherries, for serving (optional)
- Wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Add the tofu, cacao, agave or maple syrup, vanilla, almond milk, and sea salt to a food processor. Blend until completely smooth, about a minute, scraping down the sides halfway through.
- Cover the bowl of the food processor and place in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
- When ready to serve, scoop the vegan chocolate mousse into bowls and top with coconut whipped cream and a cherry.
Nutrition info does not include coconut whipped cream or cherry.