Summer is finally here! When I lived in Chicago I would spend as much time as possible outside. Any given summer day you could find me sipping drinks on a patio, perusing the farmers’ market, or playing with the dog in the grass. I absolutely lived for those few precious months of warm weather (I think Rex did, too) and to be honest, I didn’t pay as much attention to sun protection as I probably should have. Aloe vera to the rescue! Not only can this magical plant soothe sunburnt skin, it has loads of other health benefits I didn’t even know about until I tried Aloe Vera Juice from BareOrganics.
Most people know aloe vera as an after-sun skin soother. Maybe you even have an aloe vera plant growing in your yard or on your windowsill. Aloe vera grows wild all over southern California and it’s surprising how huge they can get. Aloe vera juice is made by crushing the gooey flesh of the aloe vera plant leaf. It’s then purified and filtered into a thick liquid that blends beautifully into smoothies and juices. In the spirit of refreshing summer beverages, we combined BareOrganics Aloe Vera Juice with freshly squeezed lemons and mint to make a slushie that’s a whole lot tastier and healthier than what you’d find at a convenience store.
Aloe vera juice is hydrating and chock full of phytonutrients, which support a healthy liver. It also boosts the immune system and supports healthy digestion. While I’m way more diligent about wearing SPF now that I live in sunny California, I’m glad to know aloe vera juice offers another layer of protection. The antioxidants and vitamins in aloe vera have been shown to help prevent future lines and wrinkles. I’ll take it! Especially if I can drink it blended into frozen lemonade, which is exactly what we have here.
My advice: don’t skip the herbs! If you’re not a mint fan, swap it with basil. I promise, you’re going to want that extra fresh flavor. All it takes is about 20 minutes in your ice cream maker to turn liquid into frozen slush you can scoop with a spoon or slurp with a straw. You can find BareOrganics Aloe Vera Juice at GNC and several other retailers, both in-store and online. Check the BareOrganics website to find a location near you.Print
This summery slushy drink is so refreshing and hydrating. The combination of soothing aloe vera juice, lemons, and fresh mint simply can’t be beat!
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 ½ cups filtered water, divided
- 12 oz. BareOrganics Aloe Vera Juice
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- Small handful of fresh mint
- To make the simple syrup, combine the sugar and ½ cup of water in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Pour the simple syrup, aloe vera juice, lemon juice, and remaining 2 cups of water into your blender along with a small handful of fresh mint. Blend until smooth and taste. If you’d like your slush a bit sweeter, add another pinch of sugar. If the mixture is too sour (this will depend on how sour your lemons are), add another splash of water.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer to catch any large pieces of mint or lemon pulp.
- Remove the bowl for your ice cream maker from the freezer. Set it on the base and turn it on. While the bowl is spinning, pour in the aloe vera lemonade mixture. Churn until the liquid is mostly slush; this should take about 20 minutes.
- To serve, use a spoon to scoop the slush into four glasses. Drizzle with any remaining liquid and garnish each glass with a mint sprig.
Keywords: lemonade slushy