I’m bringing you this cool summer recipe from the comfort of my couch today. I try not to get too cozy while I work on my laptop, but the living room is the only room in my house with air conditioning. Never again will I take having AC in my kitchen for granted! Or a dishwasher, for that matter. I learned yesterday that our rental was built in the 1920s and it explains so much. Luckily, you don’t need a fancy kitchen to make a refreshing summer treat. As long as you have a freezer and a blender (I hope you do!), this Blueberry Mint Smoothie Bowl is a piece of cake.
What makes a smoothie bowl different from a regular ol’ smoothie? Aside from the obvious, a smoothie bowl is thicker in consistency. Not only does this change the ingredients slightly, it alters the blending method. With a smoothie bowl, low and slow is the name of the game. Meaning, you’ll want to blend your ingredients on a low speed for longer than you would with a drinkable smoothie. This requires a little bit of patience. You’ll also need something you can stick in your blender to make sure everything reaches the blades at the bottom. My Vitamix came with a tamper that fits through the hole in the lid for this very purpose. If you don’t have one, you can just use a silicone spatula or something similar.
The base of this Blueberry Mint Smoothie bowl is made with vanilla coconut milk (in a carton), frozen banana, frozen blueberries, vegan protein powder, and fresh mint leaves. If you can’t find vanilla coconut milk, just use regular coconut milk or almond milk and add a drop or two of vanilla extract.
Blend until thick and creamy, then pour into bowls and sprinkle with your favorite toppings. I used more blueberries, orange slices, granola, and coconut flakes. Don’t forget the mint leaves! They add such a nice, fresh flavor to this summer breakfast or snack.Print
Blueberry Mint Smoothie Bowl
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Smoothie
- Cuisine: Vegan
This Blueberry Mint Smoothie Bowl is cool, refreshing, and perfect for beating the summer heat. It makes a healthy breakfast, snack, or even dessert!
- ¼ to ½ cup vanilla coconut milk (in a carton, not a can)
- 2 frozen bananas, sliced and frozen (plus more for topping)
- 2 cups frozen blueberries (plus more for topping)
- 4 scoops vegan protein powder
- 4 to 5 mint leaves (plus more for topping)
- Shredded coconut, fruit, and granola, for topping (optional)
- Add the coconut milk, frozen bananas, frozen blueberries, protein powder, and mint leaves to a high speed blender and blend on low speed until thick and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed. Add a touch more coconut milk if you need to, but not more than a half cup. The key to a thick smoothie bowl is using as little liquid as possible.
- Divide the smoothie between two bowls and top with more fruit, shredded coconut, granola, and mint leaves.
Nutrition info does not include toppings
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 358
- Sugar: 31.8 g
- Sodium: 223.2 mg
- Fat: 4.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 65.1 g
- Protein: 20 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
I made it! It was good. 🙂 Thank you for the recipe and suggestions.