The first time I made these lemon and chia cupcakes was for Portland’s Really Big Vegan Bake Sale. Temperatures were hovering in the low hundreds and the day before the sale we were all warned against bringing anything to the sale with frosting. A bake sale without frosting! But it had to be done. Anything frosted was sure to be a melted pile of goop before 10 a.m.
So I needed a new plan. Lemon and Chia Cupcakes — summer perfection, light and citrusy. The recipes comes to us by way of our friend over at My Fridgie. And like most of her recipes, this one is simple and easy to whip up any day of the week!
I like serve them dusted with a little powdered sugar alongside some fresh strawberries. You can’t go wrong.
Lemon and Chia Cupcakes
You can make this recipe gluten-free by replacing the all-purpose flour with 100g buckwheat & 100g millet flour.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12
- 2 1/4 cups (200 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. (30 g) corn starch
- 3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup (100 ml) vegetable oil
- Juice and zest from one lemon
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) nondairy milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180C).
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, the lemon juice and zest.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, and stir until a batter forms.
- Pour the batter in a cupcake/muffin tin, and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- When ready, transfer them to a wire cooling rack and let them cool completely.