Naturally, you can make these mini snack pizzas with any toppings you darn well please. If you do use vegan cheese, use it sparingly. It’s never that great and I’ve found the more you add, the more disappointing it gets. A little sprinkle will do the job just fine. That aside, I used a new one from Trader Joe’s and it melted surprisingly well. If you’re looking for fresh pizza dough, good old Trader Joe’s can hook you up with that too. If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s nearby and you aren’t inclined to make your own, stop in to your favorite local pizza place. They’re usually good about that sorta thing. One last tip: these pizzas are small, chop your toppings accordingly.
An alternate fake-cheese-free topping recommendation: red sauce, broccoli, roasted red peppers, vegan basil pesto.
Oh and if you’re looking for an easy vegan pesto, check out the Amore brand in the tube. I use it for everything!
- 1 refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella
- 1 small bunch fresh basil
- 1 medium tomato
- Preheat oven to 400° F. And line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil so they won't stick.
- Place pizza dough on a well-floured surface and stretch gently into about a 12″ x 8″ rectangle.
- With a round cutter or a cup of some sort, cut dough into 18-20 rounds; place rounds 1 inch apart on baking sheet. Top each with pizza sauce, cheese, basil and tomatoes .
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. But know that some vegan cheese just won't melt the way to want, so make sure the crust doesn't burn.