Post updated My 23, 2016
Memorial Day is creeping up fast this year! Be prepared to party with these sure fire holiday weekend recipe winners.
The Grill, Portobello Mushroom Burgers with Basil Aioli
How about a little grilled portobello burger with the most amazing basil aioli. I’m not sure you can sincerely call anything vegan an aioli, but we’ll let it slide. It sounds so much more intriguing than may-on-ayze. Aioli... just flutters off the tongue and so with this spread. It absolutely makes this recipe. You can also add some fake cheese to this if you’re into that sorts thing, but I really think it takes away from the whole deal. My suggestion is to leave it be. It won’t be missed.
About 30 minutes to prepare
From The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen
Portobello Burger Ingredients
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, wiped clean with dampened paper towels
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tomato, cut crosswise into ½-inch slices
- 1 bunch arugula, washed and spun dry
- 4 hamburger buns
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 3 garlic cloves, put through a garlic press
- 24 fresh basil leaves, thinly slivered
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- fresh ground pepper
- To make the basil aioli: Combine the vegan mayonnaise, garlic, basil, and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Alternatively, you could toss it all into a small food processor and pulse until well combined.
- For the portobello burgers: Cut the stems off the portobello mushrooms flush with the mushroom caps. Using the tip of a paring knife, make tiny holes in the caps.
- Combine the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl and whisk to mix. Generously brush the portobello caps and tomato slices with some of the oil and vinegar mixture and season them with salt and pepper.
- Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
- Arrange the portobello caps, rounded side down, grill until nicely browned and soft, about 3 to 6 minutes per side.
- Spread the insides of the rolls or buns with basil aioli. Add the grilled mushrooms, tomato slices, and arugula.
The Essential Sides, Desserts and Drinks
French Potato Salad
Grilled Corn With Citrus Butter
Red Quinoa Salad
Nutty Quinoa Salad
Green Bean and Fingerling Potato Salad with Miso Dressing
The Frontera Margarita
Did you know that WebMD has an article that says that salt is worse for your health than smoking. So if you start smoking and give up salt, you will be healthier.