Is there anything better than biting into a ripe, juicy peach? I know I say this about every summer fruit and vegetable, but this time I really mean it. They’re just so good. Side note, I’m having flashbacks to James and the Giant Peach. Do you remember that movie? I might need to pop it in while I munch on this Summer Peach Salad with Pistachios.
I’m doing this new thing where I pair fruits and vegetables in the same dish and the results are pretty fantastic. This isn’t rocket science. Why haven’t I done this before? There’s something about the sweet/crunchy combo that’s just to die for. If you’re on board with putting fruits and veggies in the same bowl, you’ll also want to check out our Vegan Watermelon Poké Bowl recipe. It’s another really good one for summer.
This Summer Peach Salad with Pistachios combines the sweetness of sun-ripened stone fruit with peppery arugula and fresh basil for an unbeatable flavor combo. It’s also light and comes together quickly, making it ideal for those hot afternoons when you’ve just mowed the lawn and want an easy, healthy lunch.
I started working on this recipe last summer and I’m happy to report I’ve finally gotten it right. Juicy peach is a perfect match for crunchy, toasted pistachios. A sprinkle of hemp seeds is my secret weapon for adding plant protein to pretty much any dish. Of course, we can’t forget fresh basil. It’s the official herb of summer!
You can serve this Summer Peach Salad with Pistachios as a side dish or even dessert with a scoop of vegan ice cream. We like layering the peach slices over a bed of baby arugula to make it more of a real salad. Either way, your dinner guests are going to love this one.Print
You can serve this Summer Peach Salad with Pistachios as a side dish or even dessert with a scoop of vegan ice cream. We like layering the peach slices over a bed of baby arugula to make it more of a real salad. Either way, your dinner guests are going to love this one.
- 3 ripe peaches
- 7 to 10 fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. grapeseed oil (or another neutral oil)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. agave
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
- 4 cups arugula
- Use a sharp knife to cut the peaches into 1-inch wedges and put them in a medium-sized serving bowl (you can discard the pits).
- To slice the basil, stack the leaves with the largest on bottom and the smallest on top. Roll the leaves into a “cigar” and use a rocking motion with the tip of your knife to slice the basil into thin ribbons. Add the sliced basil to the bowl of peaches.
- Warm a small skillet over medium-low heat and add the chopped pistachios to the pan. Toast for three minutes, shaking the pan once or twice, until the pistachios are fragrant. Remove from heat and transfer the toasted pistachios to the bowl with the peaches and basil.
- Make a simple salad dressing by whisking the grapeseed oil, lemon juice, agave, and salt together in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the peach mixture and use a rubber spatula to gently stir. Sprinkle on the hemp seeds and stir once more.
- To serve, divide the arugula between four salad bowls and top each with the peach mixture.